Our customer-facing WordPress support role requires a mix of debugging and development experience as well as outstanding communication skills. You’ll be working directly with both client and agency developers on some of the highest-profile and highest-traffic WordPress sites in the world. Your voice as a customer advocate will help to improve and shape our platform, ensuring our clients and their site visitors have the best experience with our services.
We are looking for people with compassion, writing skills, accountability, WordPress knowledge, and code savviness.
A day would involve:
- Maintaining the quality, accuracy, and thoroughness that is part of our high-touch, concierge support.
- Helping clients and teammates via tickets and real-time discussions using a variety of research, debugging, tools, processes, detailed error reporting, and documentation.
- Solving tough problems with client sites, themes, and platform tools that often deal with edge cases and WordPress internals at scale.
- Handling fast paced situations and one-off projects involving complex dependencies, multiple partners, and tight deadlines.
- Observing and relaying chances to make our platform, services, and overall offering more appealing.
- Building and updating internal and client-facing documentation.
- Excellent communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is vital.
- Self-motivated work ethic. You should be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Keeping up to date with changing WordPress and technology trends on behalf of the VIP team and clients, often training others once you’ve become proficient. Flexibility is key.
- Proficiency and eloquence in written English. Additional spoken or written languages can be beneficial.
Useful skills to have:
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor!
- A deep knowledge of WordPress and some of its plugins, themes, and WP-CLI.
- Experience working primarily in a customer-facing role, including support and training.
- Superb troubleshooting skills that help you take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions.
- Understanding of issues around scalability and performance.
- Exposure to monitoring tools such as Kibana and New Relic.
We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and compassion to those with whom we interact.
Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socio-economic background, cultural background, geographic location, physical disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age.
To work on diversity means that we encourage these differences, and strive to improve the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Support is provided 24/7 so an ability to regularly assist with weekend coverage, as well as some holiday and evening availability, will be a requirement. Our customers are global, and rely on us to provide expedient support, at any time of day. This is a full-time position.
If this sounds of interest, follow the instructions below to submit your application:
Write a cover letter to let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure to spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make the application stand out.
If you want to increase the chances of standing out then tell us where you heard about this position. Tell us about your thoughts about what makes for an excellent enterprise-level client experience, and how you’d help a client with an urgent issue who provides very few details. Describe an interesting problem you’ve worked on, and anything you’ve created or changed to resolve the issue or make it better.
Once happy, view the source code for this page and locate the div with the class code-is-poetry. Visit the URL enclosed within that div.
If you’re reading this on a site other than wpvip.com, please visit wpvip.com/careers for the latest details on applying.