WordPress VIP is an enterprise content platform providing consulting, support, hosting, training, and other services to some of the biggest and best WordPress sites on the web. Our clients include Facebook, Microsoft, News Corp, FiveThirtyEight, The New York Times, and hundreds more.
Our customer-facing WordPress VIP support role requires a mix of debugging and development experience as well as outstanding communication skills. You’ll be working directly with both customer and agency developers, side-by-side with our software engineers, on some of the highest-profile and highest-traffic WordPress sites in the world.
We are looking for people with compassion, writing skills, accountability, WordPress knowledge, and code savviness.
A day would involve:
- Maintaining the quality, accuracy, and thoroughness that is part of our high-touch, concierge, technical support.
- Helping customers and teammates via tickets and real-time discussions using a variety of research, debugging, tools, processes, detailed error reporting, and documentation.
- Solving tough problems with customer sites, themes, and platform tools that often deal with edge cases and WordPress internals at scale.
- Handling fast-moving situations and one-off projects involving complex dependencies, multiple partners, and tight timeframes.
- Observing and relaying chances to make our platform, services, and overall offering more appealing.
- Building and updating internal and customer-facing documentation.
- Excellent communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is crucial.
- Self-motivated work ethic. Self-starters who love taking initiative and seeing things through to completion do well on our teams.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Keeping up to date with changing WordPress and technology trends on behalf of our teams and customers, often training others once proficient. Flexibility is key.
- Proficiency and eloquence in written English. Additional spoken or written languages can be beneficial.
- Deep knowledge of WordPress and experience with PHP. Whether you are currently supporting individuals with their sites or maintaining your own, we’re looking for theme, plugin, block editor, or e-commerce experience. It’s important to be able to read the code when diagnosing and potentially resolving problems.
Useful skills to have:
- Experience working primarily in a customer-facing role, including support and training.
- Superb troubleshooting skills that help you take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions.
- Understanding of issues around scalability and performance.
- Exposure to monitoring tools such as Kibana and New Relic.
Support is provided 24/7 so an ability to regularly assist with weekend coverage, as well as some holiday and evening availability, will be a requirement. Our customers are global and rely on us to provide expedient support, at any time of day.
Diversity and Inclusion
At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Write a cover letter to let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure to spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We’d love to know your thoughts on the following:
- What makes for an excellent enterprise-level customer experience?
- If a customer raises an urgent issue with very few details, tell us what steps you might take with the customer and with the team to promptly help the customer.
- Tell us some details about an exciting problem you’ve worked on. Did you create something and make it better, or were you able to resolve an issue through changing an aspect of it?
Ready to apply? View the source code for this page and locate the div with the class code-is-poetry. Visit the URL enclosed within that div.
Want to learn more?
- The application process
- A day in the life, via David Artiss, WordPress VIP Support Engineer
- Shannon Smith, WordPress VIP Support Engineer (Enterprise Happiness Engineer), on working at Automattic