Our customer-facing WordPress support role requires a mix of debugging and development experience as well as outstanding communication skills. You’ll be working directly with both customer and agency developers, side-by-side with our Senior WordPress Engineers, on some of the highest-profile and highest-traffic WordPress sites in the world.
We are looking for people with compassion, writing skills, accountability, WordPress knowledge, and code savviness.
A day would involve:
- Maintaining the quality, accuracy, and thoroughness that is part of our high-touch, concierge, technical support.
- Helping customers and teammates via tickets and real-time discussions using a variety of research, debugging, tools, processes, detailed error reporting, and documentation.
- Solving tough problems with customer sites, themes, and platform tools that often deal with edge cases and WordPress internals at scale.
- Handling fast-moving situations and one-off projects involving complex dependencies, multiple partners, and tight timeframes.
- Observing and relaying chances to make our platform, services, and overall offering more appealing.
- Building and updating internal and customer-facing documentation.
- Excellent communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is crucial.
- Self-motivated work ethic. Self-starters who love taking initiative and seeing things through to completion do well on our teams.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Keeping up to date with changing WordPress and technology trends on behalf of our teams and customers, often training others once proficient. Flexibility is key.
- Proficiency and eloquence in written English. Additional spoken or written languages can be beneficial.
- Deep knowledge of WordPress and experience with PHP. Whether you are currently supporting individuals with their sites or maintaining your own, we’re looking for theme, plugin, block editor, or e-commerce experience. It’s important to be able to read the code when diagnosing and potentially resolving problems.
Useful skills to have:
- Experience working primarily in a customer-facing role, including support and training.
- Superb troubleshooting skills that help you take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions.
- Understanding of issues around scalability and performance.
- Exposure to monitoring tools such as Kibana and New Relic.
We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and compassion to those with whom we interact.
Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, physical disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age.
To work on diversity means that we encourage these differences, and strive to improve the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Support is provided 24/7 so an ability to regularly assist with weekend coverage, as well as some holiday and evening availability, will be a requirement. Our customers are global and rely on us to provide expedient support, at any time of day. This is a full-time position.
If this sounds of interest, follow the instructions below to submit an application:
Write a cover letter to let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure to spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make the application stand out.
If you want to increase the chances of standing out then tell us where you heard about this position and what your thoughts are regarding:
- What makes for excellent enterprise-level customer experience?
- If a customer raises an urgent issue with very few details, tell us what steps could be taken with the customer and with the team to help the customer in a timely manner.
- Tell us some details about an exciting problem you’ve worked on. Did you create something and make it better, or were you able to resolve an issue through changing an aspect of it?
Once happy, view the source code for this page and locate the div with the class code-is-poetry. Visit the URL enclosed within that div.
At this time, we are hiring candidates in North and South America, Pacific and Mountain time zone, only.
If you’re reading this on a site other than wpvip.com, please visit wpvip.com/careers for the latest details on applying.