VIP Go platform specific
This document is for sites running on VIP Go.
- What New Relic plan will I be running?
- Which parts of the VIP infrastructure is New Relic installed on?
- How many users can I have accessing New Relic?
- Can I turn off New Relic Browser Monitoring?
- Can I use the New Relic PHP API and SDK to enhance the data captured by New Relic?
- Can I use my own New Relic account?
- How do I use New Relic
New Relic is available for clients running on our VIP Go platform. New Relic is an application monitoring platform and on VIP Go, you can use it to monitor the PHP (WordPress) code and browser performance of your site or application.
If your team would like to use New Relic, please contact us and we’ll be happy to arrange access for you. We do not charge for access to New Relic.
What New Relic plan will I be running? #
The New Relic plan we run is as follows
- Web Pro Annual – this is the PHP application monitoring which covers your WordPress application code
- Mobile Lite
- Insights Free
- Browser Lite
- Synthetics Lite
The differentiation mainly affects the retention of monitoring data, with Pro elements of the plan retaining data for longer than Lite elements.
Which parts of the VIP infrastructure is New Relic installed on? #
New Relic is installed and activated on a maximum of 50% of web containers per WordPress environment. Typically, a non-production environment will run just two web containers (and will therefore have one New Relic instance), and the majority of our production environments run less than 15 web containers. The maximum number of New Relic instances per environment is 15.
By default, the New Relic agent is not activated on CLI containers for WordPress environments; these are the containers which run WP-CLI commands and these containers also run WordPress Cron events. If it is important to monitor the performance of your Cron events and WP-CLI commands, please get in touch and we can activate the New Relic activation on the CLI containers for any of your environments.
The New Relic agent is not installed on any other parts of our infrastructure (for example, the VIP CDN or database containers).
How many users can I have accessing New Relic? #
As many as you require, please contact us with the email addresses of any team members who need access to your New Relic monitoring.
It is your responsibility to request leaving members of your teams have their New Relic access removed.
Can I turn off New Relic Browser Monitoring? #
Yes! New Relic have some documentation on disabling Browser monitoring and real user monitoring.
Can I use the New Relic PHP API and SDK to enhance the data captured by New Relic? #
New Relic maintains a suite of PHP functions which can be used to add data to transactions, name transactions, etc, you can read more in their documentation. WordPress.com VIP uses this API to enhance the data provided by all VIP Go WordPress applications (see the code).
We don’t offer custom PHP INI configuration for individual WordPress applications (sites), but you may find that some of the configuration can be set in PHP at runtime using
Can I use my own New Relic account? #
The VIP team uses New Relic to monitor all the sites and applications on the VIP Go platform; therefore we require that your application uses the WordPress.com VIP New Relic account in order for us to continue doing so.
How do I use New Relic #
New Relic themselves maintain documentation:
- General New Relic documentation
- Some specific picks from the New Relic documentation which might be of particular interest:
- New Relic APM (Application Performance Monitoring) (this is the New Relic product that monitors WordPress as a PHP application)
- Monitoring WordPress with New Relic (this covers the WordPress specific enhancements that New Relic provide in New Relic APM)
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to help where we can.