VIP Development Consultant
As some of the biggest brands on the web, our clients and partners are often pushing the limits of WordPress. We empower them to get the most out of WordPress by providing guidance, reviewing code for security and performance, and developing new tools to improve our platform.
We are seeking consultant developers, to join our diverse and hard-working team, who bring excellence in software engineering, communication, and analytical skills. We are completely distributed, so you can work from anywhere in the world (as long as there’s a good internet connection).
VIP Development Consultants provide a valuable service to our clients. It is expected that you will come from a backend development background and are comfortable transitioning to a more client-facing focused role. You will work on a variety of different problems including:
- Consult with clients to advise them on the best way to structure their theme or plugins
- Advise on coding best-practices and provide feedback and guidance for client developers
- Assist clients through the launch of their sites
- Provide architectural consulting to help craft ongoing development of new features and functionality
- Help debug complex issues, while anticipating potential future needs and challenges
- Conduct performance audits of sites
- Fix security issues impacting the platform or popular plugins
- Build tools to help the support team be more efficient
We operate differently, apart from a set 4 to 8 hours a week of “on call” time (don’t worry — this is booked for a time you are happy to work,) you can set your own schedule. Whilst we don’t usually do weekends, occasionally some weekend work may be needed.
We are looking for people who have:
- A minimum of 2 years of WordPress specific experience – including in-depth experience of security and site performance. Please provide references and examples to highlight this, with details of your role and what you did.
- WordPress experience beyond theme work – What plugins or custom code have you contributed to?
- Strong debugging skills
- A desire to learn and grow
- Superb communication skills
- A passion to help other developers build secure and performant sites
- The ability to travel (expenses paid), for three to four weeks per year as we get together with colleagues, clients and the community
At Automattic, we value diversity and know that different perspectives will ensure our team is innovative and creative thinking. Automattic is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we celebrate diversity. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, citizenship, or disability status. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). Take the time you need for vacation, to pursue your own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte.
- We will happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- Anniversary awards: WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. Paid two to three-month sabbatical every five years. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off your passport. Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé.
Let us know what you can give to the team. Include “VIP Developer” and your name in the subject. Proofread. Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out! Please note that if you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails, there will be one reply.
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us some details about an interesting programming problem you’ve worked on. What made it interesting?
- What was your experience writing or changing a WordPress plugin or theme’s code to ensure it is secure?
- Tell us about an experience you’ve had with code you’ve written or changed to ensure a plugin or theme you worked on was performant.
- What questions do you have for us?
Interested in seeing what other positions we have available? We have the updated list here: https://wpvip.com/careers/