WordPress VIP is the digital platform of choice for the world’s top brands and publishers. Our expertise running performant, secure, and stable applications at scale enables our clients to power high-touch digital experiences with ease. Our platform combines the unparalleled WordPress user experience with enterprise-grade infrastructure and world-class support, serving billions of web requests per day. As one of the most used and ubiquitous software platforms on Earth, security and reliability are critical.
As a member of our Systems team, you’ll play an essential role in developing, building, and maintaining our growing global infrastructure. Our cloud-based containerized hosting encapsulates our best practices from running large scale, high profile WordPress sites and delivers unparalleled speed for users all over the world. It’s built for Enterprise WordPress requirements like single sign-on, custom database tables, and running your own self-contained WordPress instances.
We’re looking for an experienced systems engineer to help us build and support our platform with a heavy focus on systems support, automation, and platform feature development. You will get to support and architect systems utilizing technologies such as NGINX, anycast, caching services, Docker containers, and much more across our globally distributed datacenter infrastructure. If you enjoy solving complex problems and are eager to empower development teams working at some of the most high-profile, high-traffic sites out there, come and join us.
- Experience working on a large-scale system to make it performant, highly scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Experience in Linux systems administration and a deep understanding of how web-related services (load balancers, high availability solutions, web servers, databases, caching daemons, etc.) work.
- Great troubleshooting skills.
- Previous experience programming on Linux.
- An advanced proficiency in at least 2 of these languages: Golang, PHP, LUA, and Node.js.
- Experience with NGINX, Docker, and Varnish configuration.
- Working knowledge of network technologies such as: TCP/IP stack, IPv6, DNS, Anycast, firewalls (iptables), and TLS.
- It would also be beneficial to have working knowledge of InfluxDB and the ELK stack.
- A passion for open source software.
- A willingness to learn!
If you have some time and want to learn more about how we do things, watch this ScaleConf video.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Code Wranglers – Brandon, Jeremy, Mark, Jennifer, Roy and Kat! These are exciting times at WordPress VIP and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our platform. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. We want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves staff across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated staff to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority, though our dedication influences far more than just our team: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with us for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe. Note: All company travel is currently suspended due to COVID-19.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations up front about what to expect from our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!