Support Software Engineer (WordPress)
Our Engineers help some of the world’s most prominent organizations use WordPress at scale. As developers, we bring our experience with WordPress and the web to bear on a variety of technical challenges faced by our clients. We help our clients build their code in ways that result in sustainable and resilient applications built on WordPress. We function as a part of a multidisciplinary team of platform, project and account experts who share a common goal: to help clients meet and exceed their goals by taking WordPress to places it has never gone before!
In particular we:
- Assist large organizations with the ongoing support of new features and functionality
- Understand the organization’s needs at a deep level, and be able to recommend best practices and workflows as well as tools and plugins
- Assess client code and integrations with a focus on security and scalability
- Debug complex problems and anticipate potential future needs and challenges
- Help to shape our product vision and direction by functioning as the internal technical voice of our clients
- Constantly learn and upgrade our own technical skills to keep abreast of an evolving WordPress and an ever-changing web
We are first and foremost engineers, though our backgrounds and experiences in life and career vary. We typically have a deep background in either WordPress development itself (some of us are long time developers/contributors, experienced themers and plugin developers) and/or the web (others of us are devs with backgrounds in media or general technology.) All of us have a deep interest in code, learning and a commitment to open source, WordPress and the future of the open web.
We are also passionate advocates for our customers. We are unafraid of ambiguous or challenging situations involving code, humans or both. We understand the wider and human contexts of technical decisions. We are able to communicate effectively across cultures and organizations, sometimes in difficult situations. We are most engaged when solving truly interesting problems collaboratively. We care about our customers, and share a commitment to helping them achieve their goals!
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our passion for diversity and inclusion. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.