Chief of Staff
WordPress VIP, the enterprise WordPress digital experience platform, is looking for an extraordinary Chief of Staff to ensure that the CEO’s priorities are executed successfully across a rapidly growing organization. The Chief of Staff will build strong relationships with executive leaders to influence outcomes and maintain momentum, connecting the dots between functional teams. This position will function as a multiplier for the CEO, ensuring the organization’s operational procedures reflect the CEO’s vision, strategy, and culture.
- Oversee organization-wide projects or initiatives that are the CEO’s priority. Bring together important partners to help drive decisions and deliver.
- Lead quarterly planning for the executive team. Establish company strategic priorities and metrics for success. Revisit and re-evaluate metrics regularly.
- Create operational procedures for the leadership team that are consistent and accountable to build momentum, alignment, and clarity.
- Ensure that key internal events, meetings, and conferences are valuable through strategic content, attendee, and schedule design.
- Prepare internal and external communications, including internal memos, pitch decks, board decks, speeches, and presentations on the CEO’s behalf. Facilitate transparency into the CEO’s vision, mission, and priorities.
- Lead hiring process for executive roles reporting to the CEO.
- Oversee the office of the CEO. CEO support roles such as executive assistants, recruiters, and event organizers will report into this role.
Skills and Qualities
The Chief of Staff position might be a good fit for you if you:
- Can drive and coordinate projects through organization, process, and influence. You are a master project planner and can anticipate needs before they arise.
- Are analytical, structured, and business-minded in your approach. You are able to synthesize chaos and recommend a plan of action.
- Have experience leading and growing high-performing teams, preferably in a distributed environment.
- Have experience working on an executive leadership team.
- Demonstrate ownership in your work. You serve as a proxy for the CEO, and are attentive to customers or employees.
- Are emotionally intelligent, and can be perceptive toward the CEO and other key relationships.
- Are organized and motivational in written and verbal communication.
- Are customer-centric. Though an internal role, you must be attuned to client needs and always keep the customer experience in mind.
- Are flexible. You are comfortable with unexpected initiatives, projects, travel, meetings, and roadblocks.
- Work transparently.
- Have a positive attitude.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé (PDF format only).
Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of this position and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. If you want to make your application stand out, tell us how you’ve contributed to the success of an initiative that spanned across a senior leadership team.